Wednesday, October 7, 2009

A Firm Foundation

Monte's latest trick is turning carpet into hard wood flooring. We replaced our computer room floor, and although I was worried some or all of our crazy computer connections wouldn't go back, everything seems to be up and running.

The only drawback is, with carpet, the dust settles in it to be [eventually] vacuumed out. Hardwood says, "Hey, world, I'm dusty, and the people living here walk RIGHT over me and do nothing at all about it." Dang it, now I really really really need to mop more.

2 comments:

Jeni said...

Our house is OLD - it was built in the 30s or 40s - and it had crappy old wood floors when we moved in. By "crappy," I mean that there is no subfloor (the wood strips are nailed directly onto the floor joists) and there is a lot of termite damage & powder-post beetle damage, so that you can look directly into the crawlspace in many parts of the house.

Since we were expecting Wendy at the time, we just patched the holes & slapped some carpet over the top. Eventually, I'd like to get back to hard wood, but I know it's going to be a lot of work - a lot of patching, leveling, sanding, etc.

BUT! If that day ever comes, I am SO buying a Scooba! It's the only way my floors would have a hope of being tolerably clean.

Kristi E said...

We had a roomba years ago, and I loved it but the thing kept breaking. iRobot sent us three before we stopped trying to get one that worked for any length of time. Still, while it worked, it was the only time in my life my floors were clean underneath things. Ah, memories!