Thursday, September 5, 2013

Who I Want To Be

Coolest Person in the World
For a long time now I've wanted to be my little sister. She makes things I want to do look effortless. I want to be a photographer. She's a gifted photographer. I want to speak Spanish. She speaks fluent Spanish. I want to live in Missouri, you should see her COMO house :-) (You get the idea.)

It sounds like the perfect recipe for envy or jealousy or something else you could characterize as one of those seven deadly sin thingies. But the truth is I want to be my sister because her insides and her outsides are profoundly amazing. I look at her and feel so much admiration and pride. It feels a little like wanting to be a better person because you're around better people.

She is also one of the extremely limited number of living souls who understands what is happening inside my mind, and can accurately finish my sentences when my words won't come. The African proverb "Ubuntu" - I am because you are - probably wasn't crafted with two western white women in mind, but there is no better definition for who and what she is to me. I can become irritated with her and vice versa, but in the end, I am who I am because she is who she is, and there's nothing I am that hasn't been made better since she became a part of my life. Our parents got it right when they gave our family its Shauna.

--------------

Ordinarily I don't plug things, but my baby sister's photography is the bomb, and well worth a look. Check it out, and marvel at its awesomeness.

http://www.shaunamphotography.com/


No comments: