Saturday, January 31, 2009

Crazy word(s) of the day

Monte got me a MacBook Pro laptop for Christmas, and it's got this crazy screen saver that picks random words out of the dictonary, scoots them around the screen, and then picks one, defines it, scoots them around, defines another, and so on. At first I recognized most of the words, but here lately ol' MacBook has found new and increasingly obscure words to throw up there. I thought I would share a few with you now:

  • dystopia [dis'topea] noun. an imagined place or state in which everything is unpleasant or bad, typically a totalitarian or environmentally degraded one. The opposite of Utopia.
  • sere [si(e)r] adjective. dry; arid, especially of plants, withered.
  • clamant ['klament] adjective. forcing itself urgently on the attention.
  • patisserie [pe'tisere] noun. a shop where French pastries and cakes are sold. French pastries and cakes collectively.

I mean, really MacBook? You can't be cool enough without making me feel like you're smarter than me too? Well played, MacBook, well played.

3 comments:

Tiffany said...

I will have to tell Drew about that. He likes things like that. What is the program called?

Kristi E said...

It's a screen saver, under settings, and it's just called Word of the Day. It's so cool!

Andrew said...

yeah, you have a newer OS version than me, so I'm waiting on the upgrade to be installed when my IT guy gets the time.