Wednesday, May 6, 2009

God may be in the details, but Kindergarteners are NOT

I'm reading Stephen the second Harry Potter book. If you've never read it (and really, this explanation is for all five of you out there who haven't), there's a school called Hogwarts and in it are four houses the kids are sorted into: Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw and Slytherin. Stephen was engrossed in the chapter, which discussed Harry's interaction with some Hufflepuff kids and some Slytherin kids. When we finished reading, we had this conversation:

MOM: So, what did you think of tonight's chapter?
STEPHEN: Good.
MOM: What was your favorite part?
STEPHEN: I don't know. Which kid was Ernie? Was Ernie a Sucklepuppy?
MOM: A Sucklepuppy?
STEPHEN: Yeah, you know, a Sucklepuppy or a Hidden Door?
MOM: You mean a Hufflepuff or a Gryffindor?
STEPHEN: Yeah, that's what I said.
MOM: Oh. He's a Sucklepuppy.
STEPHEN: That's what I thought.

It's not about the details with boys. It's about how wacky you can get when you mangle the details. I think I'll write to J.K. Rowling and tell her she needs to rewrite the books using Sucklepuppy and Hidden Door, because from now on, that's what I'll be thinking when I come across Hufflepuff and Gryffindor.

2 comments:

Brook said...

Very Cute-I'm impressed that he likes Harry Potter. We've tried some reading with books like Star Wars-but Gav is still Mr. short attention span. By the way-I'm one of those five people.

Susie said...

If only Harry could have gone to kindergarten at Hogwarts.... Did wizards go to school at all before age 11? Draco Malfoy's name would have been butchered by his classmates when they lost their two front teeth!