Tuesday, June 29, 2010

New Normal

We've officially been in Oklahoma for a week now, staying with the inlaws until our house sells, and although they've been nothing but nice in welcoming us to their home and making us feel comfortable, there's just so much privacy and control you can exercise while living under someone else's roof. I'm sure it's not a walk in the park for them either, having given up their right to peace and quiet while living with three small boys, but they've been really gracious and accomodating, and we are extremely grateful.

Still, moving is terrible. I had forgotten--mostly because the last time I did it I didn't even change school districts, and now we're in a whole different state. Sure, it's a state we are both familiar with, having visited for holiays and such, but living is a whole different kettle of fish from visiting. The grocery store is laid out all wrong. The streets are in the wrong places. There isn't any shade, or sidewalks, or frozen yogurt stores. July in Oklahoma is like July in Death Valley, without the charming name. There's no Starbucks for like, 8 miles from where we are living. Everything in Oklahoma City is so big and in your face, but at the same time it's all spread out, so you have to drive a long way to get to all the big in your face stuff. Nearby the new (temporary) address we have tag agents and nail salons, neither of which I need at the moment, but no really useful stuff like an Applebees or a Longhorn or a Cold Stone. (They think Braum's counts. It does not. At all.) I guess my old town was small, but it felt right sized. Not so big that you get lost and not so small that you didn't have options. And it had trees. Tall mature ones, with shade. I'm just saying.

But I'm coping. I'm finding I can walk indoors at the City Center, which is a membership based work out place, library and swimming pool complex not far from my inlaws house, and half an hour away there's an IMAX theater, so we were able to show the boys Toy Story 3 in really really really big 3D. And there will be other things, special unique things, as time goes on that will endear me to my new home.

It's not a bad place.

It's a very nice place actually.

I guess change is hard on everyone.

1 comment:

Sandi said...

Kristi, not real sure what the last commenter is saying, but just wanted you to know I feel your pain. I had no idea Columbia was small until moving to Louisville. It's not easy moving on.