Sunday, February 8, 2009

My heart isn't in Valentine's Day

I haven't had time to make a lot of cards in the last couple of weeks, what with the big "V" looming on the horizon. Being Stephen's room parent takes very little work except around the two public school approved holidays of Halloween and Valentine's Day. I really look forward to Halloween because usually we party at school and then go directly from there to getting lots of loot and having our costumes complimented. But Valentine's is another story. I guess its partly because early on I never had a boyfriend on Valentine's, so the only flowers I got were from my mom--how lame is that--and partly because now that I've been married nearly 18 years, it feels like a lot of social pressure to buy something for a guy who is already cool with just getting me to make dinner for once. Maybe my shoes are too tight, or my heart is two sizes too small, but I just plain don't like Valentine's Day. But it doesn't matter, whatever the reason, my heart or my shoes, there's a party to be planned so I'm doing my best to get my Valentine's game face on, and get red and pink supplies together for some Kindergarten food, craft and game time. Luckily, I have my card making to cheer me up, and even luckier still, Peyton took a couple of really good long naps Thursday and Friday. The card you see before you is the result. I scrap-lifted the general idea from a magazine and added the "Thank You" and the flowers in the background (which are pretty hard to see in the picture, but they're there). It went together pretty fast, and not a single heart or Valentine's Day sentiment on it! The stamp set I used is from Stampin' Up, although I forget the name--it was very popular last year and in one of their special mini-catalogs, which is about all the description I can come up with. I used SU Chocolate Chip ink for the tree; Close To My Heart green inks in Juniper, Key Lime, Olive, Citrus Leaf and Clover Meadow for the leaves; the large scallop circle die from SU for the frame, and an SU jumbo wheel called Everyday Blossoms, in CTMH Vanilla ink, for the background. Now that I'm done making cards, I think I'm ready to face Valentine's Day. See you all Friday, (Kindergarten celebrates a day early!) when my heart will have the opportunity to grow three sizes in one day, and I'll be the smiley mom in the corner decorating cookies and shouting "a happy Valentine's Day to all, and to all a good night!!!"

2 comments:

Andrew said...

And proof again why guys don't scrapbook... I'm lucky to get the difference between green and brown - while you all are talking about 50 different, unique shades of green.

And besides that, the men who can differentiate color well, would name them
Snot green, half dried booger, NY Jets green, Packer Green, and Mean Joe Green.

Tiffany said...

Just remember, you are too young to attend the Valentines Day Dinner at church. That should make the day better for you!

I like the card. I need to get back into doing cards. Maybe some day when I need adult companionship, I will come over and we can play.