Friday, February 13, 2009

Old Time Radio

I'm a huge fan of OTR, and listen to Sirius channel 118 (Radio Classics) every day. Recently, with the merger of Sirius and XM, the programming has moved around a bit and I'm finding more and more shows to love. If you have satellite radio, check out gregbellblog.com for channel updates and the schedule, or just tune in--the shows are moved around so you hear something new in each time slot every day. My faves are Dragnet; Nick Carter Master Detective; the Shadow; the Whistler; Inner Sanctum; Suspense; and Escape. Although the shows are predictable in that they reflect the morality of the time in which they were made (right always prevails, the bad guy never gets away with it) the simplicity and earnestness of characters appeals to me--plus, every so often they throw in a surprise ending I didn't see coming a mile off. I'll admit I'm not as big a fan of the OTR comedy genre, but Fibber McGee and Molly is now, and forever will be, timeless and hilarious. That series is worth picking up at RadioSpirits.com on CD, and listening to when you people with regular radio can't get a signal somewhere. Ah, the good ol' days!

1 comment:

Tiffany said...

This may get me in a lot of trouble...but I have never heard OTR.